Friday, December 11, 2009

Sixteen


          Aalairus emerged from Nepech’s portal to cacophony of sound that was equal parts cheering from spectators and frantic shouting from the healers on what they wished done with me.  A stretcher lay on the grass several feet away towards Elyos Square and as grateful as I was to be warm once more and among friends I still hid my face in Aalairius’ breastplate. 

It was so bright.  After the never ending night of Asmodae the bright midday sun reflecting off the white stone of Sanctum was blinding.  My eyes watered and stung as the activity swirled around me.  Aalairius marched purposefully to the stretcher laid out for me and set me down as gently as he could.   Cool hands rested on my forehead and a familiar whispery voice filtered through my consciousness.

            “This is not good.” Telemos, the soul healer of Sanctum said. “I sense part of her soul is missing, she has come too close to being Lost.”  He mused further. “We must do something for these broken bones before she is unable to walk… Out of the way.” He commanded briskly.

When it did not yield immediate results he shouted.  “Out of the way!”  The stretcher was borne into the air and I looked about frantically catching sight of Aalairius, Toxemia standing beside him.  Our friend’s hand on the larger man’s shoulder he held Aalairius back to allow the healers room.  My beloved’s helmet had been cast aside somewhere and now that I could look at him I saw he looked stunned.  Toxemia simply looked grim.



            Telemos held my hand and kept pace beside the stretcher, carried by two acolyte priests.  He issued orders to a harried looking young human who then dashed off ahead of us.  We did not seem to be going far.  The Lyceum was just ahead, looming up from the city street and had an impressive infirmary being as close to Sanctum’s main gate as it was.  I was brought down a hallway, and into a large chamber, the stretcher set upon a stone table so that the healers may have room and access to work.  A young soul healer whom I had never met approached me with scissors and I glared at her.

            “Absolutely not.” I said flatly and began the task of unclasping Elethor’s cloak with shaking fingers. 

            “Speed is of the essence, Sirona.” Telemos chided and I turned my burning gaze on him. 

            “How long was I gone Telemos?” I asked. He was taken aback.

            “Eight days…” he answered slowly.

            “Eight days.” I echoed. “They tortured me for at least four of those days Telemos.  For the last four I have been taken care of, just not by a healer of your caliber.”  I let that sink in before I continued.  “Eight days Telemos, I think my injuries can wait the few moments it will take us to properly disrobe me.  My dignity has been affronted enough.”  Telemos bowed his head and acquiesced. He helped me remove the cloak and folded the fur-lined black material neatly.  Part of the legion crest peeked out from one of the folds, the flame color stark against the black background and I blanched, snatching the cloak to my chest hanging on to it, silently praying no one had seen.  Telemos eyed me carefully and clapped his hands twice, the sound loud in the small treatment room.  Everyone scattered for an exit to the room, the door closing behind them. 

            “I am your healer Sirona.  Let there be no secrets between us, you know the healer’s code.” He softly chided, and I sighed and thought carefully on how much to reveal to him.

            “The ones who saved me didn’t have to Telemos.  They tended my wounds, fed me, and clothed me all at their own peril.  Who would I be if I did nothing to honor their sacrifice?”  I clutched Elethor’s Legion cloak to my chest and silently prayed that he would understand.  Telemos pursed his lips and went to one of the doors.  A Shugo appeared and stepped into the room at his call. 

            “Take these articles of clothing to mistress Sirona’s dwelling.” He told the little man. 

            “Put them in the chest that serves as my altar in the outer room.”  I instructed.  The Shugo twitched his ear inquisitively and took the cloak from my arms, Telemos helped me out of the dress and into a patient’s gown and we turned the white gown Elethor had given to me over to the Shugo as well.  Telemos paid the little man handsomely and with nary a squeak he was out the door and on his way.  I felt the panic in my breast ease.  Shugo were masters at discretion and the amount Telemos had paid would buy this ones silence for certain.

            Telemos turned to me. “Now, are you going to behave like a proper patient or do I have to use calming herbs?”  He asked. I obediently lay down and submitted to his examination.  It was not long before the loud clashing of plate could be heard distant at first but nearing at a rapid pace.  Aalairius burst into the chamber, the distress clear in his eyes, and his short white hair in disarray from the cover of his discarded helm.  Toxemia ghosted in behind him, concern for his friend clear on his features.

            “Is she all right?” he asked strain clear in his voice.

            “I’m fine.” I said. “She is not.” Telemos said in unison with me. I glared at the healer and he looked over his shoulder, a rag coated in calming herbs and ether was shoved over my mouth and nose before I could even protest.  My body went lax and my mind began to swim even as Aalairius reached my side and took my hand in his.  I vaguely remember Tox gliding up to my other side, and taking that hand even as Telemos bent over me to say something… I nodded despite not having understood and a moment later a scream tore up my throat, clawing its way out of my mouth to echo off the chamber walls back at us as every nerve in my legs below the knee lit aflame, worse than the tortures that had been visited upon them in the first place.

            “Hold her!” Telemos shouted.

            Aalairius looked stricken and grabbed both my wrists in his larger hand, pinning me to the table with an arm across my chest.  Toxemia, an apologetic look upon his face did likewise across my hips, another set of hands pinned my thighs and as Telemos worked to repair the damage done to my bones I screamed, on and on, loud and louder until I had no voice left to scream with and finally my consciousness slipped away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment