Friday, December 4, 2009

Thirteen


            The men had both gone and Evensong and I sat before the fire in Elethor’s chambers, catching up as best we could.  She asked me;

            “What is he like?” her sea green eyes inquisitive. I bowed my head and smiled at the thought of him.

            “He is strong, but not overbearing. He is light and laughs with our friends and Legion mates, and does not let us fall into despair, even when the circumstances are dire and the outlook of our predicament is bleak. He is intense behind closed doors, but not stormy, and never angry.” I sighed, and felt a keen ache of loss as I missed my beloved, so far away from me; I struggled still with my feelings for Elethor, though I remained devoted to Aalairius.  I tried to dash the turmoil these thoughts and emotions brought to my soul and turned the subject to the personality of my other legion mates.  Evensong could not stop laughing as I related Toxemia to her.

            When Elethor had come back to claim me from my bath he brought with him a dress, it looked new and fit me well, and was a welcome change, though I must admit I had enjoyed wearing his old shirt and how it had smelled of herbs and earth, ink and parchment a scent that had remained uniquely his. It was a light material and soft, so as not to aggravate the new healing skin where it was still raw from my ordeal.  When we had reached his chamber, a clean set of sheets had been put on his bed and Evensong and Haji waited with news.  Haji and Elethor had taken leave to implement the next portion of the plan for my escape from Asmodae, while Evensong remained to keep me company.

            She and I had been quiet for a while when I finally gave myself enough courage to ask.

            “What is happening? The three of you spoke Asmodian for Haji’s benefit before they left, I know only a few words…” she smiled very pleased with herself.

            “Haji and I made contact with one of your Legion members; we paid a Shugo fluent in both Elysean and Asmodian to write a missive, a place and time to exchange you back to your people.  Then we found one bearing your legion crest, a sorcerer, cornered him and gave him the message. Don’t worry, Sirona, Haji insisted we wear masks, so we could not be identified.” She looked very pleased indeed at how simple and well executed their plan was and I was impressed. I thought carefully about the sorcerer’s in my legion, it couldn’t have been Nepech or Astat they had found, as both of them were far to advanced for even two Asmodians to corner, Nepech and Astat both would have fought until they were forced through the aether and back to their bind points. 

            I frowned, “Was the sorcerer a young man? Close cropped black hair?” Evensong rocked back and clapped her hands.

            “Bravo, you know your Legion well.  Who was he?” she asked.

            “It had to have been Ulquiorra, he is still mastering his abilities, as I am re-mastering mine.  You are lucky it was he and not Nepech or Astat. They would have allowed themselves be torn apart before conceding.  They are headstrong and to a certain extent fool hardy.” I chose my words carefully, I loved Evensong, she was a sister of my heart, yet I could not deny that she was Asmodian and I, Elyos… two halves of the same whole separated by that accursed abyss.

We had both gone quiet when suddenly Evensong rose and began rooting around Elethor’s things.  I was appalled.

            “Evensong what are you doing!?” I blurted at her.  She smiled impishly over her shoulder as she moved things aside in a drawer at the base of his wardrobe. With a triumphant sound she held up her prize, a brush and returned to me.

            “You let your hair dry without brushing it and it looks like a Griffo nest.” She knelt behind me and started at the ends of my shoulder length mouse brown hair, tugging the brush through the strands gently.  I closed my eyes and tried not to think of my fingers in Elethor’s hair.  

            “When do I go?” I asked, and I know she did not miss the sorrow my voice contained.

            “The rift opens day after tomorrow. We will leave during cover of deepest night tomorrow and make our way there.” She sounded a little sad and fell silent, the only sound in Elethor’s chambers being the crackling of the logs on the hearth and the sound the brush made as it passed through my hair.  I would leave Elethor behind soon and go home to my beloved.  I closed my eyes and Aalairius’ image floated up behind my closed lids unbidden.  I bit the inside of my cheek, the turmoil in my soul an unbearable amalgamation of sorrow, loss, love, lust and under it all incredible guilt.  I missed Aalairius fiercely, so strongly it was a physical choking ache rasping beneath my breastbone.  I knew that when I returned to him, safe in the circle of his arms that I would miss Elethor just as terribly, just as I had missed him for the last thousand years.  Perhaps Aion had been merciful in letting me forget… After all, it had allowed me to love Aalairius.  Had I never forgotten, I doubt we would have met let alone been given such a gift of an opportunity to love one another.

            “Tell me about him.” I urged, desperate to take my thoughts away from Aalairius and Elethor both.  Evensong lit up.

            “Haji?” She asked and I nodded, I was curious about the darkly tempestuous young Daeva.  “I love him” she blurted, “More than anything, more than life.”

            I blinked, startled.  Evensong had always been passionate.  Like the seas, she was always calm on the surface, smooth as glass… but her currents ran deep, swift and strong, and I could see she was caught in one now and that I was about to be pulled along with her.

            “I can’t remember how long ago it was now;” she began “I went to one of the further outposts of Asmodae as instructed, and was at the tavern for a meal.  I was exhausted; I had pushed myself too far and too hard on the trip.  I know it was foolish but I just wanted to get there, you know?” I nodded, I knew what she meant, I had done several trips of my own in Elysea where I had arrived at my destination, filthy, aching and exhausted.
            “I was in the taproom of one of the area’s most inexpensive inns, and you know with the cheap comes the rabble.” She continued drawing the brush through my hair as she spoke, settling into an easy rhythm.

            “The Daeva that were there were all very young, and cocky with their new found power, there were four of them, I remember it like it was just moments ago.  One was a Gladiator, a big brute of a man, another Scout, not sure which kind though, then there was a Spirit Master and I honestly can’t remember what the fourth was.  Things are rougher here in Asmodae Sirona.  It’s a different world.  We had to adapt or die and the mentality never left us even after we were established and thriving.” I listened to Evensong and I understood.  We of Elysea were fortunate in some ways after the Tower of Eternity had fallen.  Though our world lay in ruin, it was warm and sun filled, and we had enough light and materials to rebuild relatively easily.  Here in Asmodae, in the dark and the cold with no real shelter to begin with, I imagined it was a very different tale.  Evensong continued.

            “I was standing at the bar when the Scout leaned up against it, he was too close for comfort but the Gladiator had taken up position on my other side and the other two behind me.  I figured I would have to put up with them as a minor annoyance but that they would grow bored and go away.  They weren’t having it though, the scout grabbed me… I tried to back away but the Gladiator was there and well things were going south in a hurry.” She paused in her reflection. 

            “I didn’t have a chance Sirona.  It was four to my one, and just when I thought it was over and my heart began to sink, just as the Gladiator began to tug at my shirt, he showed up.  Just like Aion Himself had sent him.  His arrow flew straight and true and hit the Spirit Master between the shoulders, incapacitating him with one blow.  I watched his body return through the aether to its obelisk.  The other three followed suitand by the time he finished with them.  He broke every one of the Gladiator’s fingers before sending him through. He took all four of them on Sirona, you should have seen it.” Her voice was far away with memory and I turned and looked at her.  She stared at something I could not see, lips quirked in a sideways smile and her face… I wonder if I looked like that when I thought of… Evensong interrupted my thoughts by finishing her tale.




            “When they were gone, I looked at him and he looked at me and he said his name, and I said mine and he echoed my name and the sound of it from his lips…” She sighed contentedly, a woman in love. “We’ve been together ever since.”  I smiled, happy for her. 

            We talked more, and though I grew tired I stayed by the fire with her, our time was too short for me to sleep through it.  The men returned a time later with the sound of the tumblers sliding back into place in Elethor’s chamber door.  It glided open and he and Haji stepped through, both looked troubled, though when Haji looked at Evensong, the furrow in his brow smoothed and a light touched his eyes that I had not seen before.  His manner eased, the tension pouring from his body and suddenly he went from this ridged, hyper aware and dangerous creature to one of boneless liquid grace.  He lived and breathed for my dear friend and it was obvious, and my heart eased towards him, all nervousness a thing of the past.  

            “Sirona… after The Fall, did you ever see Claire again?” I knew she would ask… I sighed and swallowed past the newly formed lump in my throat.

            “No.” I said finally. “She was lost.” I looked at each of their faces, “What of Zenton?” I asked.  Elethor raked fingers through his hair.

            “Zenton survived, for a time.  He became Centurion within his Legion, was honored as one of our fiercest and most brave.  He led his Legion in a rash offense against a Balaur Dredgion. He and his entire Legion were Lost as a result.” He pursed his lips in a grim line.  I bowed my head in prayer.

            Haji said something to Evensong.  She nodded and my attention switched to Elethor who still stood in the door, he was looking me over a slight crease between his eyes as his eyebrows drew together in a slight frown.  I smiled at him, though I could not keep it from being a tired one.  He closed the door which remained slightly ajar and strode towards me while Haji filled in Evensong softly by the desk.  Elethor swooped and picked me up in one fluid motion, barely breaking stride as he moved me to the bed, setting me gently where the blankets had been turned back.  I watched him as he wordlessly folded the blankets over my lap.  It took me a while to delineate the look in his eyes and when I did I was vaguely surprised I had done it.  Elethor was worried.

            “What’s wrong Elethor?” the question stopped his fussing with the covers and he looked at me, the impossible mask slipping back into place with an almost audible click.

            “Nothing…” he began but then stopped.  He sat heavily in the chair beside the bed and covered his face with his palm.  Evensong and Haji drew up to the foot of the bed, Evensong was paler than usual and Haji was tense again… the tempest that was his thoughts raging just behind the curtain of dark hair spilling into his eyes.  Elethor leaned forward sharply and took my hands in his. I leveled my gaze to his and spoke gently but firmly.

            “Please, I am injured and I am not a child.  What’s wrong?” I waited patiently while they mulled it over.  Finally Elethor nodded once and began.

            “Everything is going smoothly, we will leave tomorrow night and make the night long trek to where the rift will open. Your people have received the message and made return contact. Evensong, Haji and I will cover our faces to protect ourselves not only from your people and any ideas they may have for revenge but also from our own and any ideas they may have about treason.”  I nodded carefully but I knew there was more. I searched Elethor’s face but as usual he carefully schooled it to give nothing away by expression. He searched my own for a long time before finally giving in.

            “Switchkin has become… fascinated by you.”  He said fascinated like it was unclean and I felt a jolt of fear deep in the pit of my stomach.  “You resisted his methods, and the man is all ready cracked, I fear what this might mean for you should you encounter him again.” His fingers griped down on mine with a vice like intensity.  He is good at his craft Sirona, the best assassin Asmodae has to offer. The Shedim Lords themselves call upon him. I do not think he wishes to end you.”

Evensong interrupted.

“Men like him… no one could imagine what he wishes but what ever it is, it isn’t good.”   I nodded, I loved my friends with all my heart and soul, but they had not been at Switchkin’s tender mercies.  I shuddered and Evensong pressed me back into the mound of pillows and pulled the blankets to my chin.  I was cold, but it was not the type of cold a blanket, nor would a hot bath cure.  Evensong, Haji and Elethor laid their plans with me for our departure the following night. 

            Before leaving Haji looked at me and said something I could not discern.  I looked to Evensong and Elethor for help.

            “He said he found your cube in the basement of the inn Elethor found you in. There isn’t much in it though.” Evensong translated for me, as she finished Haji brought out the small magical bronze and wood box. I opened it and the contents were grim, a bit of broken odds and ends, a running scroll that I would not be using for some time and at the bottom a small square of jelly wrapped in a bit of waxed parchment.  I smiled and plucked it free tucking it near the top of my cube within easy grasp.  I doubt I would have use for it but if I did it was there. 

            I thanked Haji and he nodded at me with a small smile.  He and Evensong left to provision our impending sojourn shortly thereafter... 





5 comments:

  1. Please, please continue this amazing story. I thoroughly enjoy your style of writing, and you hae shifted my perspective of the evil asmodians ( I only ever play Elyos) Don't let this story die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't! I think Elethor, Kuraia, Evensong, Haji my Legion and most importantly, above all else, the most important person - Aalairius would string me up and we'd all see just how much of a bad guy Switchkin can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thoroughly entranced from chapter 1! I look forward to the continued tale. You're writing is engaging and the characters believable. You've definitely made a fan of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Angele! Part Fourteen went up while you were making this comment I hope you got to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with your story!

    ReplyDelete